Friday, July 17, 2009

Vitamin D's for Me!

Some may be interested in the progress in recent years regarding the role of Vitamin D in prevention of cancer and other diseases. I got a lot of information about Vitamin D at www.grassrootshealth.net. This is also the site that is doing a study to determine how much Vitamin D supplementation it takes to raise levels to optimal and to study the health effects. Testing required 2 drops of blood and $40; oh yeah, and lengthy health and sun evaluation. They want to test you every 6 months for 5 years. My husband and I signed up. I figured we were 2 opposite extremes, he frames houses in the sun all day long and I rarely see the light of day. He never supplements and I take 5000iu of a pharmaceutical grade quality daily. We'll see whose levels are optimal.

Many disease processes may be affected by Vitamin D insufficiency. Some of those are TB, psoriasis, multiple sclerosis, inflammatory bowel disease, type 1 diabetes, high blood pressure, increased heart failure, muscle myopathy and cancer including colon and breast cancer. It is projected that the incidence of some of these diseases could be reduced by 20% to 50% or even more. Of course Vitamin D has been well documented to reduce osteoporosis risk.

Another interesting fact this site noted was that the darker the skin, the greater the probability of a vitamin D deficiency. Also that even in southern Arizona, 55% of African Americans and 22% of Caucasians are deficient.

Like I said-you couldn't keep me from taking a supplement that; along with my great multi-vitamin and fish oil, could affect my quality of life so much.

No comments:

King s Compounding Pharmacy

Amarillo, Texas, United States
King's Compounding Pharmacy is a full service pharmacy specializing in compounded prescriptions and nutrition. Please check out our website at www.kingscompoundingpharmacy.com.